Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Best of 2012! (PS. I'm back...)


Due to my PC being in the computer hospital, my phone being in the phone hospital, and myself being... Well... Mostly absent or injured over the Christmas period, my annual 'year review' is a tad late. But let's overlook that fact, put our thinking caps on and consider 2012 and everything it brought us!


Film of the year



Most people will sit there yelling Batman! Batman! I adored Batman: The Dark Knight Rises. However, it wasn't perfect. There were flaws. Major flaws... (Wasn't that an atomic bomb? Shouldn't thousands of Gothamites have been killed by the radiation? And how the heck did Bruce get from Gotham, to what I presume is the Middle-East, and back again?!) Instead, I put forward Argo as film of the year. See my review below for my complete opinion, but basically it was smart, stylish, dealt with a sensitive subject with the delicacy it required, yet still brings some laughs. Also, the final half an hour is, quite literally, edge of your seat stuff...


Literature

Anything but 50 Shades of Grey. Just anything...


Comics


With the revamp of the DC universe, there's a lot to choose from. I loved Justice League Dark and the new Batman run, but it's been all about Saga from me over 2012. Amazing comic book, with an exciting and touching story, complete with some of the prettiest art I've seen for a long time. Read it. Now.


Television


I'm going to be honest here. I've not watched all of the television I wanted to. If I had, I imagine the likes of Homeland and Breaking Bad would be making this list. But instead, I'll rave about how good American Horror Story's been, The Walking Dead season 3, Wilfred season 2, and how much Modern Family has made me giggle over the months. However, it's nice to look over on our side of the pond, particularly at a certain Derren Brown who supplied us all with some major talking points with his Apocolypse special. But it was his Fear and Faith episodes that really impressed me... Instigating a religious experience in an athiest?! Amazing television.

Sadly, I wouldn't put forward Doctor Who this year... I know... Shocking right?


Music



Gaslight Anthem's 'Handwritten' gets it for me, but only just, with Of Monsters and Men's 'My Head is an Animal' coming a very, VERY, close second. An honourable mention for Frank Hamilton's 'One Song a Week' as well, just for the pure quantity of good music!


Sport


An amazing Formula One year. And exciting end to the footballs (of which I know little about, but even I found it interesting!). The Olympics was great (even those moaning about it in the run-up ended up jumping on board, and the tubes weren't that bad after all!) However, England's thrashing of New Zealand at Twickenham just has to be the best moment of 2012's sporting calendar. No-one expected it to happen, and if it did, it was only going to be through fluke... No such luck there for the All-Blacks. England played with style and handed the Kiwi's behinds to them on a platter. Amazing...


Live Show


I had my first Bestival experience this year, and it deserves an honorable mention (as doing a 'Best Festival' category seems a little unfair as I only made it to one!) as it was rather amazing. But for best show, old Derren needs to rear his head again, as his Svengali show was, in places, absolutely mind-blowing... Wouldn't want to spoil it, but you can watch it on the tele-box, and you'll get what I mean when you see the painting section...


So well done 2012, you laid on quite a feast... I'm back now, with a working computer, so expect numerous reviews and pieces throughout 2013!

No comments: