Friday 1 February 2013

World War Z Trailer


Today I planned to write a review of the excellent Gangster Squad. But then I saw the trailer for World War Z.

Anyone who's visited my house, will likely be aware that on my book-case, there is one shelf full of my favourite books. Around 20 books, which if anyone asks me 'is there a book you'd recommend?', I immediately point in the direction of this shelf (which if we're in the pub can immediately become confusing...)

Max Brooks' World War Z has pride of place on this shelf and will never be demoted. I have read it several times and it still shocks and affects me every time I read it. You can imagine my excitement when I hear (a few years ago now) that Brad Pitt's film company Plan B Entertainment was taking it on...

It's been a while in the making, but we'll see World War Z hit the cinemas in June, and for me it'll be one of the most exciting films of the year. To hold our interest until then however, a trailer has already been released on the internet, and will be shown during the Super Bowl on Sunday (whatever that is... I for one will be watching a proper sport this weekend...)


The trailer looks nothing short of promising. I'm aware opinion on Brad Pitt is split, but I'm a big believer in the man.  The majority of the footage shown is Brad Pitt running around with or without his family, looking concerned, but the thing that really struck me in this trailer is that the zombie hordes are literally that. Hordes. The film could lose points for the fact that a few of these scene look a little computer generated, but it's an approach to zombies that's really yet to be seen: Overwhelming hordes, climbing over each other in their desperation to feed. It chilling stuff, and if the film continues in this vibe, as well as embracing the political side that the book presented, it really could be a winner...


No comments: